Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Clearing things up...

So while I was reading my last blog post out loud to my roommate who's also a teacher I realized that I need to make a few things clear. ...

First of all I encourage all young kids to stay in school and to work hard. Secondly, of those famous people I listed, there is a list far greater than that of those who did go to college and that's how they became so successful. Thirdly, I misquoted myself by saying that you don't learn anything from a classroom. You learn a lot and a lot of important things. My post was mainly directed at post college, but I do think that colleges need to reevaluate some of their courses to help prepare people for whats to come in life.

I went to KU for 4 years and got my degree in psychology. Now if you sat me down and even asked me to list out every class I took while I was there I would laugh because I probably only remember a third. So considering I don't even remember the classes, its safe to say I don't quite remember what I learned in those classes. However, just by being in college I learned so much about life and about myself and I would never take those years back.

So my main pet peeves about school (and by this I mean college and post college) are for starters the cost. Tuition prices are just getting waaaay out of hand and it's becoming impossible for people to leave school without being tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Also, I think more internship and shadow programs should be available and for credits. In addition to those programs there should be classes teaching you basic things about life: how to take out loans, pay mortgages, understand health insurance, budgeting daily expenses, fix a computer when it crashes on you. Yes I know some classes do touch base on these, but it never seemed to mirror real life so it doesn't stick with many people. Some of these things might also sound really basic, but shoot I remember helping a girl who had graduated college address an envelope because she didn't know which side the stamp went on and which side the return address went on (this is not a joke).

Anyways just wanted to clear a few things up. I encourage everyone to get as much education as they need for their dream job (and if your dream job is to be a singer, professional athlete, or reality TV star, well then get as much education as you need for your back up dream job, because not everyone is cut out for those positions in this world).

I'll be back with new topics in a day or two

Thanks
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment